Interview Techniques and Thank You Letters
In order to impress the employers at your interview, you must prepare ahead of time! Here are some steps to follow in order to ensure a successful interview:
- Sign up for an Interview Techniques workshop. If you can't attend the workshop, download our Effective Interviewing Handout [pdf] for detailed tips and a sample thank you note.
- Before the interview, review the job description, research the company, and be ready to talk about your skills and what you have to offer.
- You can read about the interview process and employee reviews on Glassdoor after creating a free account using your .edu email.
- Practice answering common interview questions. Create an account on Interview Stream so you can record yourself in a mock video interview. (As of fall 2016, more and more companies are using similar platforms for screening interviews.)
- Prepare what you will wear and what you will bring. See our tips on how to dress professionally [pdf].
- On the day of the interview, arrive 10 -15 minutes early. Let your enthusiasm for the company and the position show. Don't forget to ask thoughtful questions of your interviewers.
- At the end of the interview, make sure you get the employer's business card so you can follow up with a thank you card or email.